How To Wear High-Waisted Leggings
Everyone has a stack of leggings in their closet, and we’re all looking for opportunities to wear them in more moments than our trips to the gym. With the right styling methods, you’ll be able to spend most of your life in leggings after reading this how-to guide.
Women universally love leggings because they complement every body type and are extremely comfortable. Learn how to wear high-waisted leggings effortlessly so that you can reap all the benefits of these stretchy beauties!
Benefits of High Waisted Leggings
Just about everyone is a fan of high-waisted leggings, and you should be too! They’re flattering on all body types and offer some other body benefits, which we’ll list here:
- They Stabilize Your Core: High-waisted leggings can help stabilize your core and abs while you’re working out. A strong body gives you better posture, which will provide you with a slimmer appearance and help you boost the effectiveness of workouts.
- They Boost Your Confidence: Since high-waisted leggings stop above the natural waistline, they elongate your body and can give you more confidence in how you look and feel. With better posture and longer lines, high-rise leggings can give you a confidence lift while showing off your natural silhouette.
- They Can Work in the Workplace — Leggings are gaining acceptance within office dress codes in more and more organizations. When styled correctly, you can look professional any day of the week.
Just because you’re working out doesn’t mean you can’t look good while you’re lifting and running. Here are some clothing articles and style tricks that’ll come in handy when you wear your high waisted leggings at the gym:
- Crop Top: Pair leggings with a crop top for a sneak peek of your abs.
- Monochromatic: Set a mood with a monochromatic color scheme from top to bottom.
- Cropped Hoodie: For crisp fall weather, match a cropped hoodie with your leggings.
- Denim Shirt: Mix textures by wearing a denim shirt unbuttoned over a base layer.
- Oversize Tee: Keep things super causal and toss on your favorite oversized tee.
- Duster: For a boho vibe, throw on a duster over a crop top and leggings to create a layered look.
- Tuck In: Add a preppy tone with a front tuck of your t-shirt.
- Oversized Sweatshirt: Stay cozy with a baggy sweatshirt on chilly winter days.
Are leggings pants or tights? The answer is both. Leggings add versatility to your wardrobe. You can use them when heading to casual settings like the gym, running errands, or having girls' nights. But leggings aren’t just activewear anymore. Layering leggings with tops and dresses can create a more sophisticated outfit for the office. Here are a few examples of how to dress up your leggings:
- With a Dress: Pair your favorite leggings with a dress that might otherwise be too short to wear to work. Match your leggings and your favorite summer dress that you can’t bring yourself to put away yet with a cute pair of ankle or mid-calf boots. This ensemble will make a comfy and cute professional work outfit.
- Long Top: Counterbalance the tight fit of the leggings with a long and loose top. A flannel shirt, an oversized t-shirt, a tunic, or a flowy sweater can make a perfect office look. Don’t be afraid to be colorful during the spring and summer.
- Second Layer: To look uber professional at the office, sharpen your image by adding a second layer over your blouse or t-shirt. A blazer, denim jacket, or suede jacket can give you a laid-back yet polished appearance.
- Shoes: The shoes you wear with your leggings will take your look from the gym to the office. Be careful not to pair them with any footwear that others might misconstrue as too casual. Ballet flats, pointed heels, ankle boots, or mid-calf boots will work.
- Accessorize: Accessories can set a more formal tone when you’re incorporating high-waisted leggings into your work outfit rotation. Jewelry like bracelets and necklaces, as well as belts and scarves, can enhance your look.
But it’s still wise to be mindful of where you’re wearing leggings. Formal events like weddings might not be the best choice no matter what you wear with them. But no worries; you can pull off leggings pretty much anywhere else. You may need to think about the length of your leggings depending on the setting, though.
Whether you’re staying casual or going professional, the length of your leggings can affect your styling. Check out the different legging types and see which ones you can make work for you at the gym and the office:
- Full-length: Full-length leggings extend to your ankles and are versatile enough to go with almost any outfit. You can pair them with tops like t-shirts, tank tops, and blazers and with any footwear from sneakers to tall boots. Full-length leggings have the added bonus of giving the illusion of longer legs. You can wear full-length leggings to work out, but they may not offer the same elasticity as other leggings.
- Knee-length: Knee-length leggings are perfect for workouts. They stop just below the knee and offer flexibility for high-impact exercises and more low-impact ones like yoga. However, while these should be a mainstay in your activewear rotation, they probably won’t be the best fit for the office.
- Mid-calf: Mid-calf leggings stop at the shins. People also call them three-quarter leggings, and you can rock them at the office with a long blouse and heels or let your cute socks peek out of the top of some ankle boots.
Once you’ve found the pair of high-waisted leggings you love and know how to style them, how do you care for them? The elasticity of the materials in leggings can be fickle and might need some extra love. For starters, never tumble dry your leggings. Instead, lay them flat to dry to preserve the fabric’s elasticity. As for washing your leggings, here are a few dos and don’ts to consider:
- Don’t Over-Wash: Like any piece of clothing, leggings will last longer the less time they spend in the wash. Of course, if you wear your leggings to the gym or on the run, you need to clean them regularly. However, if you’re lying low around your house, you can wear them a few times.
- Washing Precautions: Leggings tend to snag and pill due to the elastic fabric. So, if you can, try to wash your leggings with an activewear-specific detergent. You can also place them in a mesh bag and set the washer to the delicate cycle. Furthermore, turning them inside out will help to keep the colors saturated.
- Avoid Fabric Softeners: These will ruin your leggings! Fabric softeners contain silicone, which can destroy the elasticity of moisture-wicking fabrics. To remove tough odors, try natural solutions like adding a cup of white vinegar to your wash.
Knowing how to wear high-waisted leggings can help your form in the gym and keep you comfortable at the office! Celestial Bodiez Collective has a variety of high-waisted leggings to add to your wardrobe.
Be sure to check out our End of an Era Collection, where you’ll find our high-waisted scrunch leggings and other products on our site at up to 50 percent off!